Thursday, November 4, 2010

Quiet Rage


Class Experiment:
Playing my part as "Disrespectful Kid" in class was interesting. I really changed to fit the role and over dramatized the disrespectful behaviors that a person might have. I actually even thought it was kind of hard to transition from playing this role in this class to my next class. It was amusing to me to play this part because I am usually never the disrespectful one. I changed into this complete monster in a teacher's nightmare once the role playing began. I compiled every bad possible behavior I could think of and was just terrible.

Life Example:
I have noticed that one of my former friends completely changed her image, personality, and hobbies to fit in with a different group of people. She's self-conscious of every single thing she does now so that people like her and don't think she's weird or different. I feel bad because there is no trace of the girl I used to know. She changed everything about herself to fit the 'role' that her new friends want her to fit.

Philip Zimbardo Quiet Rage Psych Experiment:
The role-playing behavior that surprised me the most was Prisoner 8612 because like all the rest, he started as a normal student but completely changed dramatically after an extremely short period of time. He was the leader of prison rebellion and was a respected leader to the other prisoners. After a few days he wanted to leave the experiment but the prison authorities denied his request and degraded him and called him "white boy" and pathetic. When he joined the prisoners again after his meeting with the authorities he told all the prisoners that there was no way out of the prison (even though technically the experiment said that any of them could leave at any time). He decided to pretend to be crazy so they would let him leave, but when he was telling the authorities about how he was going crazy he actually went into a fit of rage and they finally let him go. This showed how extreme this experiment really came to, and he was one of the earliest incidents to happen in the 6 day long experiment. I think that the 'idea' of the Prison experiment was good but the actual outcome of it was too extreme and went on for way too long before an intervention. All of the people involved in the experiment took everything to an extreme and too literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment